I know there are some rumors that email marketing is DEAD. I, myself says NO. Now you are probably saying "who is she an authority on email marketing"! I use email marketing every day to contact my subscribers. I send them emails describing products that I think maybe useful for their business. I send them information on educational material that maybe helpful to them and the latest trend that may interest them. In short I like to build a relationship with my customers and subscribers. One of the best ways to do this is with email marketing. I do not bombard them with emails I do this in a thoughtful fashion always mindful of their feelings.
If you are an affiliate marketer you probably cannot run your business without email marketing. Of course you could tweet a product link that you are promoting or you can create a fan page on Facebook and promote your products and services that way. This is all good and it will help you get you and your product out there. But the backbone of your business is good old email marketing.
- Email Service Provider
- Since you are in the business already I assume you already have one of these. You probably have subscribers and leads already stashed in your email service provider (autoresponder).
- Autoresponder are different and offer various services. From Listwire, which is free to Mailchimp, Aweber or Trafficwave. To name a few. Some internet marketing systems have them available to you such as AIOP, Paradoxcash, GVO just to name a few.
- Build Your Email List
- Set up a data base of email addresses by using an email form provided by your autoresponder. You can add this form to your website or make landing pages or squeeze pages and add the form to them.
- When asking visitors for their address tell them what to expect and what they will get in return.
- Only add the email addresses to your database that have given you permission to email them. These are the people that have purchased something from you already or have opt-in by signing up for a free item you are providing.
- You must include an unsubscribe link in all your emails. This is the law according to the CAN-SPAM Act.
- Create an Email
- Some email service providers have email templates you can use to set up your emails that look very professional. They have places where you can customize your text and images. For instance Mailchimp or ConstantContact. The free autoresponders like Listwire doesn't and Trafficwave, an excellent autoresponder, which I used to belong to does not.
- Strong Subject line
- Make your subject line stand out, it wouldn't hurt to create a little drama, but focus it on the content in the body of your email.
- Make the first sentence attention grabbing.
- Your readers will hopefully want to read further.
- Your content in the email can explain the benefits of the product you are endorsing or the information you are providing.
- Provide bullet points and make your email short but informative so as not to take up to much time of your prospect.
An autoresponder is just a sequence of email marketing messages that gets sent to subscribers in the order and frequency that you decide.
- Sequence of email marketing messages
Email 1: Confirmation/Success
The first email is to send a receipt for a purchase, for any thing requiring a opt-in, use a double opt-in which is a confirmation link which will lead to a Thank you page where they can access/download usually a free gift
Email 2: Get Started
The second email will be the "Lets get started" email which will again have a link to the "Thank You Page" in case your subscriber missed it in the first email. Basic instructions on how to get started. If the product that they bought has to be downloaded it usually in this email.
Email 3: Reminders and Expectations
The third email will tell your subscriber the benefits and what to expect from this email series.
Email 4: Tips For Success
The goal of this email is to make sure your client is happy with what he/she has purchased and to give them the support that they may need.
I have not seen to much of this in the email series I have gotten with the products I have purchased but I do think this is important.
Email 5: Bonus Gift
Again I have not seen this either but this is a very good idea, make sure the free gift pertains to what you where offering in the first place It could be a video, a report, a guide.
Email 6: Additional Resources
I'm learning about the steps of an email series as I go along with you as alot of these steps have been left out in the ones I have received and I think these are important to building a relationship with your customers and subscribers.
If you have any products, items, resources, programs or services that you think would be perfect for them pertaining to the product they bought from you, share it with them.
Email 7: Testimonial Request
This is a hard one, alot of subscribers do not like to write testimonials unless they know you, but ask anyway and offer them a high-powered bonus. This is a bonus you might have purchase yourself. I'm still a little leary of this, a lot of marketers think testimonials are phony. I say use your own judgement.
Email 8: Just checking in
Send a email a couple of weeks later to check in and see how every thing is going. Ask them if they have had any success with your product, what the challenges are or if they had any trouble setting it up.
In Email marketing your autoresponder is your best friend and works for you day and night. It will be one of the most important tool in your affiliate marketing arsenal.